Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Clarity

"Only a clear picture of where you are and where you want to go can help you prioritize what you need to do.…Clarity of vision creates clarity of priorities." John Maxwell (author, motivational speaker)

Recently I faced so many challenges, new decisions, interruptions and options that I became completely overwhelmed. Almost paralyzed. No one is immune from moments of blurry vision and fuzzy focus. These stealth saboteurs wreak havoc on the most seasoned among us. From corporate executives to stay-at-home mothers, we can all identify with these feelings. Clarity is the first thing to go when we are busy, stressed and being called to get it all done, right now. What to do when that happens?


Get clear. Refocus.


I knew why I felt as I did last week--I’d allowed the competing chaos to reprioritize my life. As a result, I misplaced my priorities. I felt confused, disorganized and even a bit incapable. Instead of continuing to mire in the mess of challenges, decisions and interruptions, I stopped. I refocused on my larger goals which allowed me to appropriately analyze and prioritize all the things that vied for my time.


Get clear and prioritize by answering these questions:

1. In 4-6 months, what do I desire to create or experience? (Where do you want to go—what do you want to accomplish?)


2. What seeds can I plant this month, this week, in the next 24 hours to get me there?


3. Whose help do I need to support my focus and direction? (Just asking for help is a mark of strength!)


Remember you don't have to see the entire staircase—you just need to see the next steps. By answering the above questions, you've got your steps. If you haven't yet been able to answer them: give yourself permission to step away to engage the questions from a new perspective. Or gain the support of a trusted mentor to help you see what you currently cannot. Remember, “clarity of vision creates clarity of priority”.


Sending peace,

Rita

1 comment:

  1. I find my self so out of whack that even finding clarity is hard. The reminder is fabulous! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete